Research Training Opportunities
An array of research possibilities
In addition to the campus-based research enterprise, there are nine research hospitals within 2 km with approximately 5,000 principal investigators and research budgets totalling about $1 billion (CAD) a year.
The University of Toronto (U of T) receives more funding from the three federal granting agencies than any other Canadian university. With our hospital partners, U of T is Canada's leading research enterprise and the third largest in North America.
State-of-the-art research facilities are available on campus and at several affiliated teaching hospitals and institutes:
- Hospital for Sick Children
- University Health Network – General and – Western
- Mt. Sinai Hospital
- Ontario Cancer Institute
- St. Michael’s Hospital
- Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- Baycrest Hospital
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
MD/PhD Students can do their PhD in any graduate department or institute within the School of Graduate Studies.
MD/PhD students are enrolled in programs across the university, including the faculties of Public Health, Medicine and Applied Science and Engineering:
- Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology
- Medical Biophysics
- Institute of Medical Science
- Molecular Genetics
- Institute Biomedical Engineering (BME)
- Health Policy, Management and Evaluation (HPME)
- Pharmacology & Toxicology
- Dalla Lana School of Public Health
In addition to the programs offered through the graduate departments, centres and institutes, unique collaborative programs are also available. These innovative programs emerge from the cooperation between two or more graduate units, providing you with a broader base to explore a novel interdisciplinary area or a special development in a particular discipline, to complement your degree studies.
Examples of such programs associated with the Faculty of Medicine include:
- Biomedical Engineering
- Cardiovascular Sciences
- Genome Biology & Bioinformatics
- Health Services and Policy Research
A complete listing of collaborative programs can be found at the School of Graduate Studies.