Norman Rosenblum Award for Excellence in Mentorship in the MD/PhD Program
The Norman Rosenblum Award for Excellence in Mentorship in the MD/PhD Program was established in 2018 in recognition of Dr. Norman Rosenblum’s tenure as Associate Dean, Physician Scientist Training in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto and his outstanding contributions to mentoring of MD/PhD students. The award recognizes staff or faculty members who exhibit an exemplary level of leadership and commitment to mentorship and role modeling for MD/PhD students in the Faculty of Medicine.
The award recipient will receive $250, a certificate of recognition, and be asked to participate in a workshop or other research-related event. Recipients will be notified directly and will be recognized at the Faculty of Medicine’s 17th annual Education Achievement Celebration taking place on May 15, 2019.
Any University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine faculty or staff member (individual or group) is eligible for nomination. Nominees will be identified by colleagues and learners as a role model for mentorship, and involved in activities exhibiting a commitment to the MD/PhD Program.
In general, nominees should have a record of exemplary level of leadership and commitment to mentorship and role modeling for students in the MD/PhD Program, including involvement in activities that demonstrate that leadership and commitment. The following are examples of specific criteria that might be considered with respect to each nominee:
- Readily available and accessible in their mentorship role
- Establishes effective mentorship relationships based on trust, respect, integrity and honesty
- Provides supportive and formative feedback and guidance
- Contributes to initiatives that foster and enable mentorship capacity
The nominator can be any University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine faculty, student, alumni or administrative staff.
The nomination package must include the following:
- Completed nomination form
- Detailed letter of nomination from the primary nominator(s) outlining the reasons for nomination, with explicit reference to the award criteria
- Two (2) letters of support from University of Toronto MD Program faculty, students, alumni or staff including at least one of the letters of support should be from a student or recent alumni, unless the primary nomination was from a student or recent alumni
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee
Review and selection will be undertaken by the MD Program Teaching Awards Committee.
Download the nomination form here
If you have any questions, contact Barbra MacDonald, Administrative Coordinator, Office of the Vice Dean, MD Program at email@example.com or 416.946.5371.
Melvin Silverman, Department of Medicine