Norman Rosenblum Award for Excellence in Mentorship in the MD/PhD Program
The Norman Rosenblum Award for Excellence in Mentorship in the MD/PhD Program was established in 2018 in recognition of Dr. Norman Rosenblum’s tenure as Associate Dean, Physician Scientist Training in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto and his outstanding contributions to mentoring of MD/PhD students. The award recognizes faculty members, residents, or members of administrative staff who exhibit an exemplary level of leadership and commitment to mentorship and role modeling for MD/PhD students in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine.
The award recipient will receive a certificate of recognition and $250 and will be invited to address the MD/PhD class at a seminar or other program-wide event.
Any University of Toronto Temerty Faculty of Medicine faculty member, resident, or administrative staff member is eligible for nomination. Nominees will be identified by colleagues and learners as role models for mentorship and should have shown involvement in activities exhibiting a commitment to the MD/PhD Program.
In general, nominees should have a record of an exemplary level of leadership and commitment to mentorship and role modeling for one or more students in the MD/PhD Program. The following are examples of specific criteria that might be considered with respect to each nominee:
- Readily available and accessible in their mentorship role
- Establishes effective mentorship relationships based on trust, respect, integrity and honesty
- Provides specific, supportive and formative feedback and guidance
- Contributes to initiatives that foster and enable mentorship capacity
The nominator can be any University of Toronto, Temerty Faculty of Medicine faculty member, resident, student, alumnus, or member of administrative staff.
The nomination package must include the following:
- Completed nomination form
- Detailed letter of nomination from the primary nominator(s) outlining the reasons for nomination, with explicit reference to the award criteria
- A minimum of two (2) letters of support from University of Toronto MD Program faculty, students, alumni or administrative staff, including at least one letter of support from a student or recent alumnus, unless the primary nomination was from a student or recent alumnus
- Curriculum Vitae of the nominee (or resume for an administrative staff member)
Review and selection will be undertaken by the MD Program Teaching Awards Committee.
Download the nomination form here
Monday, January 16, 2023
If you have any questions, contact Sabrina Xuan, Administrative Coordinator, Office of the Associate Dean, MD Program at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.946.5371.
Sunit Das, Department of Surgery
Allison J. McGeer, Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology; and Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology
Aaron D. Schimmer, Department of Medical Biophsyics; Department of Medicine; Institute of Medical Science
Warren Chan, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
Corwyn Rowsell & Catherine Streutker (Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology)
Melvin Silverman, Department of Medicine