Norman Rosenblum Award for Excellence in Mentorship in the MD/PhD Program
The Norman Rosenblum Award for Excellence in Mentorship in the MD/PhD Program was established in 2018 in recognition of Dr. Norman Rosenblum’s tenure as Associate Dean, Physician Scientist Training in the Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto and his outstanding contributions to mentoring of MD/PhD students. The award recognizes faculty members, residents, or members of staff who exhibit an exemplary level of leadership and commitment to mentorship and role modeling for MD/PhD students in the Faculty of Medicine.
The award recipient will receive a certificate of recognition and $250, and will be invited to address the MD/PhD class at a seminar or other program-wide event. Recipients will be notified directly and will be recognized at the Faculty of Medicine’s 18th annual Education Achievement Celebration taking place on May 20, 2020.
Any University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine faculty member, resident, or staff member is eligible for nomination. Nominees will be identified by colleagues and learners as role models for mentorship and should have shown involvement in activities exhibiting a commitment to the MD/PhD Program.
In general, nominees should have a record of exemplary level of leadership and commitment to mentorship and role modeling for one or more students in the MD/PhD Program, including involvement in activities that demonstrate that leadership and commitment. The following are examples of specific criteria that might be considered with respect to each nominee:
- Readily available and accessible in their mentorship role
- Establishes effective mentorship relationships based on trust, respect, integrity and honesty
- Provides specific, supportive and formative feedback and guidance
- Contributes to initiatives that foster and enable mentorship capacity
The nominator can be any University of Toronto Faculty of Medicine faculty member, resident, student, alumnus, or, member of administrative staff.
The nomination package must include the following:
- Completed nomination form
- Detailed letter of nomination from the primary nominator(s) outlining the reasons for nomination, with explicit reference to the award criteria
- A minimum of two (2) letters of support from University of Toronto MD Program faculty, students, alumni or staff, including at least one letter of support from a student or recent alumnus, unless the primary nomination was from a student or recent alumnus
- Curriculum vitae of the nominee (or resume for a staff member)
Review and selection will be undertaken by the MD Program Teaching Awards Committee.
Download the nomination form here
2021 Nomination deadline to be announced in fall 2020
Warren Chan, Institute of Biomaterials and Biomedical Engineering
Corwyn Rowsell & Catherine Streutker (Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology)
Melvin Silverman, Department of Medicine