Research is essential for the progress of medicine. As a physician with research skills, you are in the position to advance the frontiers of medical practice and improve patient care, whether discovering new treatment options, establishing the benefits of existing clinical practices, or evaluating the current health care system for potential policy changes. That is why research experience is favoured by hospital or residency admission committees, and can help open a broader spectrum of career avenues.
There are three main pathways for medical students to engage in and share research during preclerkship:
- Comprehensive Research Experience for Medical Students (CREMS) Programs
- Medical Student Research Day (MSRD)
- Opportunities through departments, centres and institutes, hospital-based affiliates and research institutes, external awards and studentships as well as student-run summer opportunities
Comprehensive Research Experience for Medical Students (CREMS) Programs
CREMS is a research program, unique to the University of Toronto, that allows students to gain extracurricular research experiences without interrupting their medical studies. The University of Toronto is well recognized as one of the world leaders in academic research and recruits many of the world's best researchers. This is your opportunity to learn from them.
Critical thinking, scientific inquiry and the development of new medical knowledge are highly valued assets in physicians, who are in a position to contribute to both frontline clinical care and the advancement of medicine.
As a CREMS student, you will:
- explore research
- gain valuable research experience
- prepare for a career as a physician with a good foundation of biomedical research
- learn about a career as a clinician-scientist
As CREMS faculty, you will:
- provide research experience for undergraduate medical students in an effective and organized manner
- foster the career path of a medical student through guidance and skill development
- bring clarity and a new sense of possibilities for a career in medical research
- gain a valuable member of your research team
There is more than one type of CREMS program. Whether you are looking for a summer experience, international opportunity or an extended research opportunity, we have options for you to explore.