Starting on September 19, 2022, the University of Toronto will begin the process to receive applications for electives, with placements beginning in January 2023.
Note: Specialties available for placements for visiting electives in January to April, are limited to:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family and Community medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
Students from Canadian Medical Schools
The visiting electives program for Students from Canadian Medical Schools will re-open on October 3, 2022.
Please visit the Canadian Students information tab on the AFMC portal; see Policies and Requirements. To register for an elective, your home school will need to have uploaded their students to the AFMC Portal. For more information on this process and timelines, please contact your home school electives office.
Students from International Medical Schools
Please visit the International Students information tab on the AFMC portal; see Policies and Requirements.
The University of Toronto’s electives program offers clinical placements (no observerships) to students studying outside of Canada. Students must undergo a random pre-selection and formal application process to participate. Unofficial electives arranged directly with a supervisor outside of our formal applications and vetting process are strictly prohibited and will not be recognized by the University of Toronto.
To be eligible to apply to our program, students must meet two requirements:
- They must first be randomly selected in a lottery process.
- Their home school must have signed our agreement by July 1st, 2022.
Lotteries: The first lottery will be held in early October
Lottery registration: Registration is through the AFMC Student Portal over a two-week period leading up to the lottery.
- Register between September 19, 2022, 9am EDT to October 5, 2022, 11:59pm EDT
- Register here
Lottery registration fee: None
Deadline: Registration for the lottery is required by October 5, 2022, and elective submission by October 30, 2022
Agreement: If your School has not signed an Agreement by July 1st, 2022, then you will not be included in our random selection process for placements in 2023.
- View list of schools with agreements in place here
- If an agreement is not already in place, you will not be eligible for the lottery
Applications: Are accepted by randomly selected students from the lottery only
Requirements: AFMC Student Portal Immunization and Testing Form, as well as other documents
Fees: AFMC Student Portal fee: $650 + University of Toronto fee $800; UHIP and malpractice insurance may also be required.
Process for international students requesting electives:
- Confirm your home school has an agreement in place with the University of Toronto. An agreement must already be in place (by July 1, 2022) to participate in the lottery or an elective.
- Complete the lottery form by October 5, 2022, at 11:59pm. Register here.
- Await lottery selection results. This will be communicated on or before October 12, 2022.
- If selected in the random lottery, complete home school verification form by October 26, 2022.
- Register for electives by October 30, 2022.
Due to email load, we ask that students NOT contact the Electives Team at this time. Kindly await instructions which will be publicly posted here. Thank you for your understanding and interest.