Specialties available for placements for visiting electives in January to June, are limited to:
- Emergency Medicine
- Family and Community Medicine
- General Internal Medicine
- General Surgery
Students from Canadian Medical Schools
The visiting electives program for students from Canadian medical schools is currently open.
Please visit the Canadian Students information tab on the AFMC portal; see Policies and Requirements. To register for an elective, your home school will need to have uploaded their students to the AFMC Portal. For more information on this process and timelines, please contact your home school electives office.
Students from International Medical Schools
We are currently receiving agreements for 2024 electives; placements for 2023 electives have been filled.
The University of Toronto’s electives program offers clinical placements (no observerships) to students studying outside of Canada. Students must undergo a random pre-selection and formal application process to participate. Unofficial electives arranged directly with a supervisor outside of our formal applications and vetting process are strictly prohibited and will not be recognized by the University of Toronto.
Please visit the International Studentsinformation tab on the AFMC portal; see Policies and Requirements.
To be eligible to apply to our program, students must meet two requirements:
- They must first be randomly selected in a lottery process. For lottery information, visit the AFMC portal.
- Their home school must have signed our agreement by July 1 of the year prior to the elective. View list of schools with agreements in place here.
Requirements & Fees: Visit the AFMC portal for more information.
Process for international students requesting electives:
- Confirm your home school has an agreement in placewith the University of Toronto. An agreement must already be in place (by November 1, 2022) to participate in the lottery or an elective.
- Complete the lottery form by November 16, 2022, at 11:59pm EST.
- Await lottery selection results. This will be communicated on or before November 24, 2022.
- If selected in the random lottery, complete home school verification form by December 3, 2022.
- Register for electives by December 15, 2022.
Due to email load, we ask that students NOT contact the Electives Team at this time. Kindly await instructions which will be publicly posted here. Thank you for your understanding and interest.