Elective Cancellations - COVID-19
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine has made the decision to suspend the International Elective Program at least until March 2022. This difficult decision was made in light of our ongoing efforts to contain the pandemic and with the welfare of our public and patients in mind. This suspension is applicable to students attending all international medical schools as well as those where a bilateral exchange has been established. We will be monitoring the situation closely and will provide further updates on our programs.
University of Toronto MD Students
Despite the ongoing pandemic, the University of Toronto will continue to host MD program students for electives across its affiliated sites. Of note, the class of 2023 will be the first to engage in third year clerkship electives that will occur in May and June 2022. Students will have access to electives registration at sites across the GTA in January 2022. In order to ensure a fair and transparent process, sites are reminded not to hold or prebook students for electives prior to the opening of registration in January 2022.
UofT Students - Booking electives at UofT
Students may book electives at UofT using the registration system ROUTE on MedSIS. This system is made available to students in the third year of the UME curriculum.
Electives may be 2-4 weeks in duration.
In accordance with the AFMC guidelines for Electives, students students cannot book more than 8 weeks in any single speciality and are expected to complete Elective experiences in a minimum of three CaRMS direct first-level entry residency programs. As per MD Program graduation requirements, students must complete electives and selectives in at least 3 direct entry disciplines.
For more information on CaRMS first-level entry programs, please visit the following site: www.carms.ca.
Guidelines for Elective Bookings at UofT
- The Electives Office makes every effort to keep Placement Contacts updated. However, departments may not notify the office in a timely manner when changes occur. As such, it is recommended that if students do not receive timely feedback on their elective requests, they should verify the Placement Contact information with the supervisor/preceptor or elective department in question. It is also requested that the Electives Office be notified of any discrepancy in order to ensure that the Placement Contact information can be corrected in the system.
- While the online registration system may open up to a year in advance, many departments will be unable to accept your requests this early due to numerous factors. For example, departments will have not yet been advised of needs for their core learners, supervisor schedules etc. In this scenario you may be asked to submit an application later on in the year.
- Once an elective has been confirmed, changes cannot be made online. This is due to a limitation in the current software. To mitigate this, we ask that students personally contact departments through email to discuss any changes to the elective that are required. Once the placement contact has approved these changes the existing confirmed elective should be cancelled and a new elective request with the updated information may then be submitted.
UofT Students - Guidelines for Elective Cancellations at UofT
- Electives must be cancelled a minimum of 6 weeks prior to the start date of the elective. If this regulation is breached students may be cited for a minor professionalism lapse.
- When cancelling an elective, the student must ensure that it is cancelled through the online system. The student must also send a personal communication to the placement contact and supervisor to ensure that all parties are informed.
Visiting and International Electives
Canadian Visiting Electives
In accordance with the Association of Faculties of Medicine Canada recommendations, the University of Toronto will not be hosting Canadian Visiting Electives for the class of 2022. Currently we await recommendations for the class of 2023.
International Visiting Electives
Due to the COVID 19 pandemic, the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine has made the decision to extend the suspension of the International Elective Program at least until January 2023. This difficult decision was made in light of our ongoing efforts to contain the pandemic and with the welfare of our public and patients in mind. This suspension is applicable to students attending all international medical schools as well as those where a bilateral exchange has been established. We will be monitoring the situation closely and will provide further updates on our programs.