Frequently Asked Questions

ELIGIBILITY: Does U of T accept transfer students (students who are currently undergraduate medical students in other medical schools or who have completed one or more years of undergraduate medicine in another medical school)?

No.  Transfers are not allowed.

ELIGIBILITY: How many years of undergraduate studies are required for admission?

Canadian Universities:

At least three years in a coherent course of study which, if completed, would lead to a university degree, most commonly a Bachelor's degree. Candidates who apply during their third year of study must be completing the equivalent of 15 credits by the end of the third year, and have completed the course requirements for either a three-year degree or the third year of a four-year program. Candidates who apply during their fourth year are expected to be completing the equivalent of 20 credits, or completing their four-year degree. Candidates who will not meet these requirements due to enrolment in special programs must outline the reason in the Academic Explanations Essay on the OMSAS application.

Universities Outside Canada:

Applicants attending American universities must be completing a four-year Bachelor’s degree.  Applicants attending universities outside Canada or the U.S. must complete the equivalent of a four-year Canadian Bachelor's degree. This equivalency must be assessed in a course-by-course evaluation from World Education Services

ELIGIBILITY: Is preference given to Canadian citizens/Permanent Residents who are Ontario residents over Canadian citizens/Permanent Residents who are not Ontario residents


ELIGIBILITY: Is preference given to U of T students?

No. All universities across Canada are treated equally in the application process.

ELIGIBILITY: Is there an undergraduate program of study that is most suitable for admission to the MD Program?

No. Students with university education in any discipline are encouraged to apply. Medicine requires individuals with strong backgrounds in the social sciences, humanities, physical sciences and life sciences. All programs are treated equally in the evaluation process.

ELIGIBILITY: Is there any age limit for applicants?


FINANCE AND AWARDS: Does the Faculty of Medicine offer any financial aid and support?

Yes. See our financial aid page for more information on the awards, scholarships, grants and bursaries available.

FINANCE AND AWARDS: When do I receive the second portion of my funding?

Generally, OSAP and other government aid are not released all at once. Some is released when you register and begin classes and the rest is released at the start of your second term in January.

FINANCE AND AWARDS: Where can I obtain information about OSAP and government loans?

The application process may vary from province to province. Students must apply for loan assistance from their home province.

The University of Toronto financial aid page provides links to all provincial and territorial student loan programs.

GRADUATE APPLICANTS: Are professional programs such as Dentistry, Law or Chiropractic College considered graduate programs?

No. Marks from completed years of university undergraduate professional programs such as Dentistry or Law are calculated as part of the undergraduate GPA. College marks (including Chiropractic, Naturopathic or Homeopathic programs) are not included in the GPA calculation. 

Back to Top